"Do you know what innocence is?... it's more than an absence of guilt. It's having faith that there's goodness in the face of cruelty and pain." JOA 219

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Episode 11: The Uncertainty Principle

"I wouldn't worry about self-defense."
"Then why the psycho mission? Because I didn't sign up for martyrdom."
"*tsk* Joan. Have I ever endangered you?"
"Well you never asked me to ask evil out on a date before."
"Evil? Its not a word to use lightly. Its only the darkest end of a broad spectrum."
"You mean... like, light?"
"Exactly like light. Nobody is born in total darkness. Most of you live on the bright end of the spectrum. A lot here and there: jealousy, wrath. But you only get to absolute evil by doing one thing after another. Until eventually, you transform."
"Like... into a monster?"
"A monster is a creature with no consciousness. They're extremely rare, but they do exist."
"You watch the news? Not sure they're so rare."
"Almost everybody has some light somewhere. And light is always worth fighting for."
"Okay... so I'm supposed to find Ramsey's... light."
"I just want you to listen and observe. Be present."
* * *

Mr. Girardi: "Its a matter of your safety."
Joan: "Dad, you haven't even met him."
Mr. Girardi: "No, but I know he has a juvenile record."
Mrs. Girardi: "And I spoke to Chadwick."
Joan: "Oh my gosh! I'd rather you guys just say no, than go spying on people."
Mrs. Girardi: "Honey, I understand the appeal of somebody that breaks all the rules."
Joan: "Mom, this is not me being hot for some guy on a motorcycle."
Mr. Girardi: "Then what is it? Can you please explain it to us?"
Joan: "I don't know! Maybe he's... like trapped in all these stories people tell about him. Maybe what he needs is someone to give him a chance... Like... to have some faith."
* * *

Joan: "You... you just need to... to show everyone your whole spectrum!"
Ramsey: "The only thing people want from me is a psycho gun freak. And that's what I give them!"
Joan: "But that's not who you are! That's not who anyone is!"

This has always been one of my favorite episodes. And I've been doing a lot of thinking about that as of late. Do you ever notice how often we demonize everything around us, people, companies, countries... And for what? So that we can feel better about ourselves? One of my favorite movies, Gattaca, also has this line which I've always liked: "Is that the only way you can succeed... is to see me fail?" And I'm not really trying to make any kind of political statement or anything else like that. Mostly I've been thinking about it because I see others taking out their hurt on others; and you wonder, does that person truly deserve what they're saying? Or is it just us demonizing someone else to feel better? And while I wouldn't say that I've been demonizing anyone, per se, but I have been pretty judgmental about certain people. And I know I shouldn't be. Just because some guys seem creepy doesn't mean anything. Its simply my own predisposition. Or maybe not. I don't know. I guess I'll just wait and listen. :D

Oh yeah... and for future reference guys... to not look creepy, please invest some time in speaking to women in person and not just asking them randomly out in cyberspace and assume that's all you have to do... There's a reason people live in the same city...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

if i can play the devil's advocate (?) here; i think people like demonizing others b/c it's easy. and people do feel good about themselves once they've "figured something out" - maybe a result of our achievement-driven culture? either way, life is a lot easier to manage if you know who the bad guys are and if no one's the bad guy, life gets extremely difficult.