"Do you know what innocence is?... it's more than an absence of guilt. It's having faith that there's goodness in the face of cruelty and pain." JOA 219

Monday, May 19, 2008

Joan of Arcadia: Episode 212: Game Theory

"Wanna play Joan?"
"What? Now God wants to beat me too?"
"You have to stay in the game."
"I am, as a decorator. There's nothing wrong with that?"
"No; if that's what you want."
"You know, I have a very good color sense. Even Adam thinks so and he's an artist. Even though he hates me right now."
"I know you've had a difficult time lately: loosing Judith, questioning Me. But you've learned so much. Use it."
"How!? Every time I've think I've learned something, something else gets thrown at me. You know, Adam or Roger, or -sigh- feeling like a loser. Makes me feel clueless again."
"That's because you see each event as an end in itself. But they're all just small parts of something much greater. Something that never ends."
"You're very matrixy today."
"You do everything that I ask without knowing where it'll lead because you have faith. Have some in yourself. Other people do. I do."
"You're being really nice to me. That's weird."
"Because I want you to see how much stronger you are than you think. Failure and disappointment; you've been through it before. Its all part of the game."
"But this isn't a game, this is my life!"
"Every act you undertake: working at the bookstore, helping someone, even playing rock-paper-scissors. Each of those choices is a move. And every move informs the next. And changes you and everyone else. Like moves on a chess board."
"So there has to be a way to win."
"Sure: by playing."

No comments: